Saturday, November 14, 2009

It’s almost over

The break, that is. The girls have had off school since Wednesday, and now the 5-day weekend is almost over. It’s been really nice – we haven’t done too much of anything, but we haven’t been bored either. It’s time to play catch-up with photos…

Last Monday was our Father/Daughter night at GEMS. We had an Amazing Race-type event, which included all our theme night activities revolving around prayer. It was pretty fun and I know S&B&E all had a great time together! This was the bean bag toss.

_MG_4280

One of the days I headed out to a local park to take family pictures for some friends. On the way out, I pulled over to take some pictures of Mt. Baker – so gorgeous that morning! The pictures do not do it justice – mostly because the sun was pointing towards me, but it was a brilliant morning. Those snow geese flew away while I was taking the pictures, but one of these cold days, I am going to use my cool zoom lens to get some great pictures of those magnificent birds. I love it when they show up when the weather turns cold. The eagles, too – I’ll have to see if I can get some great eagle pictures this year with my lens.

_MG_4321

A friend told me about a cool photography trick…using tin foil at a 45 degree angle to the pop-up flash to help diffuse the flash and bounce the light around more – less shadows, not so harsh. Here’s the results…

Picture 1: dark outside+no flash+indoors=blurry picture with bad color.

_MG_4484

Picture 2: dark outside+flash+indoors=clear picture with weird light

_MG_4485

Picture 3: dark outside+flash+indoors+tin foil=better picture

_MG_4487 

I did edit the pictures – I made them all as good as I could get them. Cool deal. Thanks, Melissa!

Have I mentioned the weather? We have had some wild weather these past few days! Cold and…crazy!

_MG_4489 _MG_4494 About this time the neighbor girl and my girls came in from playing outside for some yummy hot chocolate with marshmallows._MG_4488And then the hail/snow/dark came:_MG_4504Within a matter of 10 minutes, we went from early afternoon brightness to this. It was 4:00 in the afternoon! It looked like the dead of winter and we’ve still got about 6 weeks until the shortest day of the year!_MG_4507 After the hail stopped, we could see another storm coming. It ended up going farther north and missing us a bit, but the town northwest of us got quite a covering of the hail/snow mix again!_MG_4508_MG_4516

Busy week ahead: Dress rehearsals for Sarah’s musical and two performances…Ed leaves for New Orleans on Friday morning…plus basketball has begun so there will be a practice and a game…who knows what pictures will be up next!?!?    

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad you like the foil, your samples look really good. I will be using foil for the kid's cast pictures this week.

Ed / Julie said...

Yeah, I have to take cast pictures tomorrow, so I'm bringing the foil, but I think I'm doing it on the stage, and the ceiling is about oh, 48 feet, so I don't think it'll work! Have fun with your cast pictures!