Friday, February 5, 2010

I am a City Girl, Part II

If you have not read "Part I", scroll down and read that first. This will make no sense if you don't.

So I go to buy a mouse trap at the local hardware store. There are quite a few options out there for a girl like me. I start eliminating...no, I don't want the traditional trap that might cut off part of my finger or part of a child's finger. No, I don't want any trap where I might see any blood or guts. No, I don't want to poison the mouse so it goes off somewhere else inside my house and dies. No, I don't want to be humane and do the "catch and release" thing. I want a quick, easy, non-messy kill. But I don't want to pay $23 to electrocute the mouse either.

I choose a $6 trap that kills the mouse inside the thing, so you just have to throw the whole thing away. Sounds good. I set it. But I don't dare open the fireplace to put it inside. So, it's sitting next to the fireplace. Nothing yet.

When I was at the hardware store I found out that my husband could have made millions. Believe it or not, but there are mouse traps that are sticky pieces of paper that you lay on the ground. Like his duct-tape-trap! Apparently his only oversight was not making his duct tape smell like peanut butter.

I went to the counter and bought my mouse trap. That was the only thing I bought. As I left, the clerk says to me, ever so cheerfully, "Have a good day!"

Uh, lady, I just bought a mouse trap. By definition, that is not a good day.

Hopefully there will be only one more installment in this blog series and it will include a picture of a mouse trap that indicates "mouse caught".

5 comments:

Randy said...

So, you want to trade Eversonian mice for Lyndenite "city" mice, and pay absurd amounts of money to do so?

Ed / Julie said...

Um, yes. That's the plan. When do you think I should tell the Heffley Lake mouse story? On your birthday? ;)

Mike and Amy said...

Julie, I have some great mouse stories for you. On involves a mouse in a yogurt cup, another involves a mouse in a brand new water heater that Mike installed, and one involves a mouse sighting during dinner--that only Hendrick and I saw.

Mindy K said...

Ok, that is one of the funniest posts I have read today. You crack me up. Be glad you have all girls. Luke makes it a habit to bring all the dead and alive mice into the house to show me. Once he wanted to be sure Rick saw his find, but Rick was out of town so I let hime put it in a ziplock and put it in Rick's mail drawer. That was a big mistake. Once get stole a slightly battered mouce from our cat's clutches and held it up and said, "Mommy this one is running". Sure you don't want to try for a boy?

Ed / Julie said...

Amy - can't wait to hear your stories on our next scrapbooking day! Mindy - there are soooooo many reasons God gave me girls. :)