Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Being blessed

Today has been a strange day. All the details are not necessary, but my day was saved by the simple spontaneous act of buying two coffees instead of one and dropping by my friend Dee's house. I know that in the light of larger problems in the world and in other people's lives, my problems are miniscule and laughable. But sometimes things like not getting news when you expect news and having the power go out and weekly Bible Study canceled after one has already driven 10 minutes to get there can make one feel a little crazy.

So, when, while waiting in line to order coffee at McDonald's (because the Starbucks line was too long due to the power being out in the rest of town and no one could make their own coffee or go to any of the other many coffee shops in town) I received and read an email from Dee saying that she was going nutso and losing patience with her sick kids, I decided to buy two caramel mochas instead of one. I called Dee and said, "I'm coming over and I'm bringing coffee." She said, incredulously (and why wouldn't she be surprised? I never do anything spontaneous.) "Really?" I showed up at her house, handed her a coffee, and we proceeded to have 90 wonderful minutes of chatting while, amazingly, her sick two-year-old played happily with my now-four-and-a-half-year-old.

Truly, that very simple and last minute decision to buy two coffees instead of one changed my outlook on the day. We didn't talk about anything important - just your typical Mom-stuff, wife-stuff, friend-stuff - but I am so thankful for those kinds of moments with friends. I really gotta try to do that kind of stuff more often.

In fact, I was so inspired that I spontaneously stopped at another friend's house this afternoon. Sure, I just had to drop off a vest that her daughter had left at church that I couldn't return this morning at Bible Study since Bible Study was canceled, but it turned out to be such a blessing to stop and say hello and see what was new with her and to find out that I hadn't received an important email from her. I only stayed for 5 minutes, but connecting with her was good. And I hope I can connect with her again soon. And I hope to be more spontaneous. So, if you live in my county, get ready. I'm planning to be spontaneous again soon.

2 comments:

dee said...

You think you were blessed today?! You WERE my blessing today! Thank you for the coffee (it was delish) but what I really appreciated (and really needed) was the fellowship with a good friend. You are a gift.
By the way, as soon as Elise left Katie fell apart. She refused to eat anything for lunch and cried for about a half hour in her bed before she finally fell asleep. Turns out both of her ears are infected. Poor baby. We now have three bottles of pink medicine in our fridge!

Ed / Julie said...

Well, you can hardly blame her for falling apart when both her ears are infected! Hopefully the pink magic will work quickly and she'll soon be back to her destroying ways, rather than her whining ways. Poor girl!