Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snohomish Adventures!

This past Saturday my friend Tamara & I headed down south to Snohomish. It’s a town with antique shops and bars. (That’s so that the husbands have something to do while their wives go antiquing).

But we were smarter. And we have awesome husbands. We left them home with the children all day! This was a trip we’ve been trying to make happen since about…oh…about March of 2010 when we first met and went antiquing in San Jose during our husbands’ Bible Tech Conference. But then Tamara had pregnancy complications, which joyfully ended with the birth of a healthy & beautiful baby girl, and I had GEMS camp and GEMS workshops, and Faithgirlz, and cross-country meets and basketball games, and Tam has 3 children - 3 and under. ‘Nuf said.

Anyway, we had a ton of fun, despite having to drive through some hail in order to get there! Our first stop was “Annie’s on First” which is kind of a gift shop, consignment shop, and antique shop all rolled in to one. So much cute stuff. We found a whole shelf of jars with old Scrabble tiles and other such cuteness and spent quite a while on the floor digging through them to find just the right letters. For organizing and crafting freaks like us, it was pure joy.

_MG_2790

_MG_2791

I also bought some fun & old music flash cards there. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to use them, but I was thrilled when my first grader got all the cards right!

Another small antique store and then a HUGE one – two floors and the length of the town block almost! We spent 3 hours in there digging and enjoying flashbacks to our childhood. It is a little bit disturbing to find toys dated 1992 in an antique store. I was in college in 1992!

_MG_2800

$30 for a Holly Hobbie lunch box? Sheesh. I’ll settle for the picture, thanks.

We ate a late lunch at Fred’s Alehouse, which was amazingly yummy and surprising not too full of Seahawks fans (who were in the middle of their win that got them to the playoffs this year!) A few more antique stores and then the town shut down. Unfortunately most of the stores are only open from 11-5, so we didn’t even get to shop in half of the town, plus there’s a huge 5 story antique mall on a different street that we’d love to go back to sometime.

A cute little shop downtown that IS open past 5 is called “Bite Me Cupcakes.” Oh YUM! I had a chocolate cupcake with this peanut butter frosting that was so tasty that it makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

_MG_2823

And the shop also featured “Sprinkle Shots”, which Tam thought was super fun!

_MG_2815

We had such a fun day and even got to quickly stop at the Goodwill nearby for a little thrift-shopping before heading home. We went through a little snow, but made it home before any more fell, and even got to see the children before bed. I didn’t take very many pictures of my purchases…some are gifts and some need some work before they get featured, so stay tuned! It was a grand weekend adventure!

1 comment:

The Mom said...

I have the same blue Holly Hobbie lunch box on the right on a shelf in a cupboard right now. At least now I know if we get hungry I can sell it. ;)
-Lea