Friday, April 1, 2011

Eagles

So the other day the girls get off the bus after school and are all talking at once as they get into the van.

“Mom, there are TWO BALD EAGLES sitting in that field behind you!”

Sure enough. Two bald eagles. So close.

And my camera is at home. Five minutes away.

So we drive home, Sarah grabs the camera, and we drive back.

Praying the whole way, “Please let the eagles still be there. Please let the eagles still be there.”

The eagles were still there!

I get out of the van.

That was my first and only needed mistake.

If I had tried to lean over Sarah to get the shot through the window, they might not have flown away. But no. I wanted to get closer.

And they flew away.

IMG_4013

They flew in the direction of our house, so we got to watch them soar and circle around for quite a while while driving slowly home. We also saw another eagle nestled in a tree on the way home.

IMG_4026-1

One advantage to living out here in the boonies is that we get to see these amazing and beautiful creatures nearly every day.

Becca’s class has been watching a live web cam of an eagle’s nest in Iowa where some eggs are getting close to hatching. Check it out!

Decorah Eagles

1 comment:

The Mom said...

I wish you would have been at my house to take a picture of the eagle that tried to snatch a chicken. I'd like to have a pic of that! Quite the sight!
-Lea