Monday, August 22, 2011

My Dilemma

On our vacation, the girls & I made it our goal to find & take pictures of certain letters of the alphabet in the world around us in order to spell the word “FAMILY.” This activity is called “Letter Art Photography” and it is sort of new to me. I was introduced to it last fall when I was asked to help lead a workshop at our upcoming annual GEMS conference (which was held in July in Colorado) with another GEMS counselor. I had seen the art before, but didn’t really know much about it until I started working on this workshop.

For those faithful readers who are thinking, “Huh?” right now, here are some examples of Letter Art Photography:

Letter Art-FAMILY

See? You just take pictures of letters in nature and architecture and put it together to make a word…

Anyway, the girls & I DID find all the letters to make FAMILY. And now finally we get to my dilemma. I can’t decide how to display the word. I could do something like either of these pictures…or I could put the pictures on a canvas, or on individual canvases and hang them…or have them printed on a mat board and then cut a vinyl saying to apply to the glass below the words…

The other problem is that the space where I want to display this is only 18 inches wide. There are six letters in the word FAMILY, which means each can be only 3 inches wide at most…unless I put them on separate 4x6 canvases and hang them from a rod with different length ribbons in order to fit them all…or…???

Suggestions? Thoughts? I REALLY want to hear from you!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I'm hoping to do this with our last name. So far only have letters V & E. I was going to go to Michael's and see what size frames they have and then creating that size picture in photoshop and putting each of the letters to fit that size. A canvas would be neat too. I LOVE canvas prints. The frames with ribbon sounds like a really cute idea though. But it all depends on what you can fit. So go to where you buy your frames and see what will fit in that size. If nothing works then go with a canvas print. That's my simple opinion.

Mike and Amy said...

I commented earlier that it would maybe be best to keep the letters all in a line--it is easier to read that way--since sometimes the letters alone don't pop out as well. Does that make sense?

The Mom said...

I think some how you should make a centerpiece to your table with them. (see how I'm vague but still want to give my two cents?) I guess b/c that's where I most feel we experience family. :)
-Lea

Julie said...

Hmmmm. I'm liking the centerpiece idea...except that there's not really room on my table for a centerpiece when we're all sitting there and have all the food there. BUT, maybe I should reconsider the LOCATION of where I am putting it and that will help with my size issue...thanks! And alvh, you are right about keeping them lined up...it's easier to read that way. Thanks!!