Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Day!

Since Bethany had been sick on Christmas Eve and we were all pretty exhausted from a couple night’s worth of not sleeping, we decided to sleep in on Christmas morning and not go to church. We figured it was better for all of us if we did not over-do and risk more sickness, and not spread the sickness further – again.

I decided that Christmas morning deserves a special breakfast and I had found a recipe via my SIL on Pinterest for “sticky buns” using Grands Biscuits. It looked delicious! The directions said to use a Bundt pan, but I couldn’t find mine, so I used an angel food cake pan. That would have been fine. Except…

Well, if you’re smarter than me, you would have figured the problem out BEFORE you put it in the oven. The “sticky” part of the “sticky bun” recipe was pancake syrup and brown sugar. Which you’re supposed to pour on the bottom of the pan before you place the biscuits in a ring in the pan. And then you pour  more syrup and sugar over top.

Angel Food Cake Pans come in two pieces…a flat part with the tube that sits inside the second part, a ring with sides. Which is OK when the liquid you pour in is very thick and doesn’t seep underneath the flat part and out the ring onto the bottom of the oven.

Pancake syrup? Not so thick. The result?

_MG_3727

Shortly after putting the sticky buns in the oven, I started to smell something burning. I checked, and found the pan dripping syrup onto the bottom of the oven! Smoke was pouring into the kitchen! I stuck a cookie sheet on the rack below the sticky buns, opened windows, and turned on fans. Soon, the syrup on the bottom had cooked itself to a crisp and I simply lifted it off with a spatula. My house was still pretty smoky and burnt-smelling, but the sticky buns ended up being very edible and delicious, despite losing half their sticky & sugary goodness out the bottom of the pan!

And that, my friends, is how you make a low-fat version of Christmas Morning Sticky Buns.

_MG_3733

After we were induced into our sugar coma, since we had skipped church, we cozied up in the family room to finish the devotional story book we’d been reading for Advent, Jotham’s Journey. It was SO good. It was nothing like what I expected when we started it (picked it up for 25 cents at a garage sale on the recommendation of a friend) and we loved it. From what I hear, there are additional books and one for Lent/Easter! I can’t wait to read them!

Then it was time to get ready to host Christmas dinner! It was a small crowd, but we were looking forward to having my parents and my grandma come for dinner, gifts, and presents. The girls & I set out a treat table, made punch, and assembled a fruit tree as an appetizer! It was so fun and turned out awesome, despite how it looked when we got started…

_MG_3736

_MG_3760

_MG_3762

_MG_3766

Then everyone got dressed and we had an awesome ham dinner with my mom’s famous potatoes, pear salad, applesauce, veggies, and rolls. We are blessed.

_MG_3772

_MG_3776

_MG_3780

IMG_7128

We played some games, Skyped with my MI bro, and opened gifts from Grandma. Once the company had left for the evening and dinner was somewhat cleaned up, the girls had the opportunity to open the rest of their gifts under the tree!

_MG_3796

_MG_3797

_MG_3798

_MG_3802

Yes, I realize there are no pictures of Bethany. I don’t know how that happened. I promise I love her, too.

No comments: