Friday, May 18, 2012

More sewing…what has come over me?

Once upon a time, I bought a dress online. I thought it was cute. I put it on. I didn’t think it was so cute. I wasn’t sure. I hung it back up. Several times I looked at it and thought it was cute and so I put it on. Then when I had it on I didn’t think it was cute anymore. This went on for a few months. I decided I just probably would never wear it so I should return it. Except that I had bought it online three months ago…probably not worth the money to ship it back. I figured I’d just bring it to the consignment store.

The thing was, I thought it was cute on the hanger…mostly I guess I liked the fabric. Then I saw something on Pinterest about a gal who made a skirt out of a dress. Hm…I wondered…was it possible? Could I do such a thing?

_MG_5862

That’s the before picture.

And, thanks to my friends and their sage stitching suggestions, THIS is the after picture:

photo-4

See? WAY cuter as a skirt! Woo-hoo!

And now for my practically-professional-tutorial on how to transform a dress into a skirt.

Step one: Be sure to choose a dress that has elastic already near the waistline. Very useful. Otherwise you’re going to have to thread elastic through a waistband yourself.

Step two: Fold the top part of the dress into the bottom part of the dress and kind of eye-ball where you want the waist to actually be by holding it up to yourself.

Step three: Using some kind of a zig-zag stitch (so that your elastic is still stretchy), stitch all the way around a couple of times.

Step four: Try it on.

Step five: If you like it, cut off the extra top part of the dress that is now inside your skirt. All done!

Step six: If you don’t like it, or if you did it upside-down and backwards the first time, like some other un-named blogger, rip the seams out and try it a different way. Repeat Steps four and five and six as needed.

Step seven: I actually ended up tucking the shirt in after taking the picture and then putting the belt around my waist at the top of the skirt. It was less bunchy that way.

Step eight: Wear to an interview.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

First of all....so cute.

Second....an interview sounds like more to the story:)

Yep I'm that nosy:)

Ed / Julie said...

You'll have to wait until I blog about whether or not I got the job. :)