Tuesday, September 6, 2016

#epicroadtrip Day 3

Our third day was a day of driving. We drove from Great Falls, MT to Rapid City, SD. It was quite a long day and it was quite a barren day...after much texting back & forth with friends who have done the drive several times, we decided on not taking the main highway, but taking a slightly faster route. So, after a picnic lunch in Hardin at their local park where we met a local woman (who had only lived there 2 months) who wanted to join us on our journey (thankfully, the "we don't have room" excuse was beyond true), we had a bathroom break, loaded up on gas & coffee, and ventured out.

If I ever do that drive again, I will take the main highway.

I don't like 2-lane roads where you travel 70 mph. There was NOTHING out there. Only one rest area for the entire afternoon. I will take the main highway next time.

Eventually we arrived in Rapid City, where the little girls got to swim with their daddy for a while as the big girls ran, and before the thunderstorm rolled in.



At the first clap of thunder, we hauled ourselves out of that outdoor pool and headed to CULVER'S for dinner!

I am a west coast girl. I have never been to Culver's. MANY of my friends are midwest girls. I hear about Culver's All. The. Time. I texted and asked what to order. Butter Burger on the kids' menu. A mini chocolate custard with Reese's. Got it.





It was delicious. It was. However, I decided I did not think I could handle that chocolate custard again. That is some riiiiiich stuff. So, the NEXT time we visited Culver's (on our trip into Madison, WI a few days later), I got the "Flavor of the Day" which was mint custard with chocolate chips. Now THAT was truly amazing stuff.

By the time we left Culver's, the roads were basically flooded and there was a major midwest thunder & lightning rainstorm happening. The kids were in awe...and a little scared until we were safely back in our hotel, watching more Olympics. 



1 comment:

dee said...

I am loving hearing all the details of your epic road trip!
Here is a poem for you....
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I'm so happy you loved Culvers
Cause this means we can still be friends