Sunday, September 26, 2010

Antiquing

Did you know that “antiquing” is a word? This is from Webster’s:

[an-teek]

–verb (used without object): to shop for or collect antiques:

I don’t think I knew it was a word. But this past week, I finally got to go “antiquing” with my friend Tam again. We went in Santa Cruz in March, and have been wanting to go to the Bellingham shops, but with her complicated pregnancy and subsequent birth of a child, and my schedule…well…it only took 6 months.

_MG_8465 I didn’t buy anything big, but was pretty excited about the little things I did find. The magazine is from 1957 and the girls think it is “so cool”, so I guess I did well there. The little Photoguide is a nice reference book that Tam found, but was nice enough to let me buy to put on display with my cameras. It’s pretty interesting. Back in the day, you really had to know your stuff if you were a photographer! The swizzle stick that looks like an Arby’s sign (from far away it does!) is really two people sitting at a table and it says “Ed’s” underneath. Tam also found that and for 25 cents I had to have it to stick in Ed’s birthday donut that night! The bag of stamps there will supposedly get used in scrapbooking someday, if I get inspired, as will the chocolate milk bottle cap thing. The girls love chocolate milk, so if I ever take a picture of them drinking it, well, that bottle cap’ll get used! The LIVE and LAUGH blocks are really fun – they’re old game pieces and I just think they’re cute. I don’t know if I’ll use them in scrapbooking or not. I ended up setting them on display in my scrapbooking cabinet, and I like them there. The b and backwards 6 are old, uh, whatchacallit letters from when they had to typeset letters for newspapers. And of course, the b is actually a d, but since it’s just “on display” I wanted it to look like a b. The 6, of course, is backwards, but you know it’s a 6, right? Right?

I’m a novice antiquer (is that a word?) but it’s a ton of fun to look at old stuff and think of new ways to use it. Tam wrote even more about our day out on her blog, here, and has more pictures, so feel free to continue to read about our great day out!

1 comment:

dee said...

Cool stuff! I remember my parents dragging me along while they went antiquing. I used to wonder why they wanted to buy old stuff...I guess you have to get older to appreciate it! My sister had that Holly Hobby lunchbox too. I had a Dukes of Hazzard one...did you see one of those?