Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Day of First Grade

There’s a Veggie Tales song (by Chris Rice, I think) that goes:

“Now Billy Joe McGuffrey was a really clumsy kid
On the first day of first grade, I'll tell you what he did
He tripped over a pencil box, flew up in the air
Landed on a kangaroo who pulled out all his hair
He needed

First aid in the first grade
First aid in the first grade
First aid in the first grade
You could buy a zoo with all the doctor bills he paid”

Well, thankfully Becca didn’t land on a kangaroo on the first day of first grade, but it wasn’t a good day because she was home sick! Whoever heard of being sick on the first day of school? I think it’s the first time in history that’s ever happened.

I finally took her to the doctor on the SECOND day of first grade and it turned out she had strep throat! And Elise, too! Plus, Elise had Scarlet Fever.

What?!?!?

Yep. Apparently it’s the same bacteria as causes strep. Just usually Moms are less negligent than I was and bring their children in and get them on antibiotics and so strep doesn’t turn into Scarlet Fever. Not me, man. I just think my kids should tough it out and I hate bringing them to the doctor just to hear the doctor say, “It’s a virus and they just have to get over it.” So, I waited. And Becca missed the first two days of first grade and Elise missed the first day of preschool. Sorry.

Anyway, the older girls had a great first week at school and the younger girls, too, once they finally got there!

_MG_8098 Look at what a beautiful young lady my 7th grader is turning into!

_MG_8086 And look at her huge feet! ;) Actually, she didn’t end up wearing those shoes to school because they were a tad too big. Whew!

_MG_8120 Can you believe this child is in 5th grade? Wow.

_MG_8081 We love these shoes. These are the shoes I found (in Canada!) for Suessical this summer. They’re like a women’s size 6, but they’re only a little bit too big when she ties them up tight.

Sorry that this next picture is a little blurry. I was trying to be fast to capture this moment without her noticing me.

 

 

_MG_8121 This is the thing that “Junior High” has brought into our lives. Chatting on the phone with friends and giggling. Oh, and apparently lip gloss. Which, if I had seen on her face before we got to church, would have been washed off.

_MG_8123 A close up of the chatting. At this point she’s saying to her friend, with severe embarrassment in her voice, “I think my mom is taking my picture while I’m talking on the phone.” As though that’s weird or something. Just wait until you try to talk to a boy on the phone, girl!

_MG_8141 Ah! Finally we’re going to First Grade!

_MG_8125 Those are just the cutest little first grade shoes I have ever seen!

_MG_8150 And Elise was off to her first day of preschool, too.

I don’t have pictures of her shoes. I don’t know why. I’m thinking either she wouldn’t sit still or I forgot. I think she wouldn’t sit still.

_MG_8158

3 comments:

Tamara said...

have i told you lately that your girls are beautiful?! well, they are. and i LOVE that you take a photo of them AND of their shoes on the first day of school - i am SO going to do that! :)

Ed / Julie said...

Wow. I *just* posted this! I also take pictures of their backpacks all ready to go on their backs. Their keychains and stuff tell a story about what they're like. But, unfortunately I didn't start those traditions until I got my good camera. :( I have a friend on FB who posted a picture of all her five kids on the day the youngest started school. Now there are only two in school and she took a picture in the same place in front of the same tree and the tree is SO much bigger than in the first one. It's amazing. I think she took a picture every year in the same place. So cool.

Rachael said...

Such beautiful girls and lovely pictures! Your girls are growing up so much! I can't believe your oldest is in 7th grade!! Crazy! The teenage years have begun for you!!! Oh my. I can't even imagine when my little guy starts Kindergarten and that's 3 yrs away yet!