Thursday, November 18, 2010

Changes

First I must inform you, my faithful blog readers, that my home is once again a safe haven. We caught a mouse and there have since been no indications that any of the mouse’s family has come back looking for revenge against the mouse-killers. We have also taken some preventative measures in our home. The final step will be to inspect underneath the house, but when my husband goes to work in the dark and comes home in the dark, it’s a bit difficult to get that accomplished. Excuses, excuses. I know.

There’s been some changes happening around these parts. Big changes.

_MG_0025

A number of Saturdays ago, Ed opened this big heavy box in the little girls’ room and went to work!

_MG_0033

They love their new bunkbed! What’s even better is that we managed to sell both Becca’s other twin bed and Elise’s toddler bed to somebody at Ed’s work!

_MG_0034

It took a few nights before Becca slept through the night up there, but now she’s doing great!

We also changed the way we “live” in this house…we needed an additional space for movie-watching and hanging-out, especially when the girls have friends over. So, we sold the old blue couch, moved the futon into the living room, bought a new chair and futon cover, moved the rocking chair and the corner cabinet into the office, bought a TV and TV stand, put up blinds for privacy at night, rearranged computers, and viola! It happened! Make sense? Maybe the pictures will clear it up….

_MG_0810

Love my fun chair that I got at a HUGE discount!

_MG_0812

_MG_0813

Still working on cleaning up this space a little – need some baskets for cords and such, but it’s a convenient little TV stand and we’ve got my old laptop in there, with a keyboard, which turns this TV also into a computer. Which is good since there’s not actually any cable in there so you can’t watch TV. Only DVD’s and online streaming shows.

_MG_0814

This desk actually needs the real coat of paint – just has primer so far. But I needed it out of the garage and needed to try it in the room, so it’s sitting here for now until I someday have time to paint. Which might be in 2012.

The print was shared by a friend and you can download it and print it yourself here. Love it!

The little “Family” Scrabble tiles were inspired by my friend Tamara, who actually bought 1000’s of tiles on ebay and made a TON of these to sell at her craft shows. I just threw this one together from our Scrabble board, but Ed says I have to put them back so we can play Scrabble. Which we haven’t done since before Sarah was born. I refuse to play Scrabble with him because he always uses words that no normal people know. Seriously!

Anyhoo, I get to pick up the ones Tamara made for me tomorrow and then I can put those Scrabble tiles back in the box, in case someday Ed wants to play and promises only to use words I know.

I’m really glad we kept the futon because then anyone who spends the night still has a place to sleep on a bed and off the floor! We splurged on the expensive futon when we bought it years ago so it’s a pretty comfortable bed.

_MG_0815

Doesn’t Ed’s office look SO much bigger?

_MG_0818

The space is this house is functioning much better now. Come on over and see it for yourself!

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Can I ask where you got the bunk beds? So nice! Love how you used the verse in the frame! Great job on rearranging everything. I bet your girls are grateful too!

Ed / Julie said...

Rachael, the bunk beds were actually from Kmart! I was hesitant, but then my friend bought them there and they're actually just as nice as the expensive ones we bought from a furniture store for the big girls a few years ago. The nice thing about these bunk beds is that they are a bit lower, so it's easier to make the beds. It wouldn't work so good for the bigger girls because there's less head space on the bottom bunk, but it's perfect for the little ones!

Tamara said...

HOORAY! i LOVE the new rooms... how fun for you to feel like you have a whole new house without having to go through the hassle of packing, moving, selling, buying and all that good stuff! excited to see you tomorrow, dear friend!

Ed / Julie said...

Thanks, Tam! Looking forward to seeing you, too!!! :)

Melissa said...

Love the new tv room. Where did you find the pretty chair?

Ed / Julie said...

At Wiser's furniture - in their clearance warehouse. Super deal. Yay!! Have you been in there to look for your glider/chair for the baby room?

dee said...

I love your new rooms! Your living room (gotta come up with a new name for it now) looks wonderful. LOVE the chair! Don't you just love Wisers? I just bought a chair from them yesterday after CB.
p.s. Tell Ed I'm very proud of him for assembling those bunk beds all by himself.

Ed / Julie said...

Did you get a chair for your living room? Just in time for your coffee group! Did you EVER clean your house? ;)

Melissa said...

I did look there for a glider once, but at the time all they had were baby blue cushions and a lot of oak wood. Not exactly my style or theme colors :) I should keep checking though, I was told they get new inventory all the time. I would really like a stuffed chair that rocks or glides, but they are a bit pricey even online.