Sunday, January 30, 2011

Domesticity

If you recall, I am quite domestic. Much more domestic than my mother. I even actually enjoy almost all the domestic things I do.

There is, however, one area of domesticity in which I am found highly lacking: sewing. I cannot stitch in a straight line to save my life. I cannot cut fabric into two equal squares, and if I ever had two equal fabric squares, and tried to sew them to make a pillow, it would come out all wonky in the end. Just trust me in this. I have tried.

I inherited the inability to sew. I know this because, though my mother did sew clothes at one time in her life, her claim – to – fame in sewing is having sewn the curtains that hung her in house for years. The catch is that my great-grandma helped her. A lot. And may I just also point out that the clothes my mother once sewed are not any of the clothes that she continues to save in each of the four bedroom closets in her house that date back to 1978?

My mother-in-law was a great seamstress, but it never rubbed off on me. I was given her wonderful sewing machine, but I usually break it when I use it, (or that’s my excuse, anyway). Then my friend’s mom comes for a visit from South Dakota and borrows it to do all my friend’s sewing and it works perfectly for her. My sister-in-law can also sew. But I share no genetic heritage with any of those people and that is also my excuse.

Last week two of my favorite GEMS Counselors in the entire world taught their 7th and 8th graders how to sew! I was at first very concerned about Sarah’s ability in this field, since I knew I had deposited no sewing genes into her body. First she had to cut fabric and iron it; two things she has never done in her life.

_MG_2991

_MG_2997

The first stitch she made had to be completely torn out because the fold she had ironed unfolded (demonstrating both an inability to sew as well as underexposure on how to use an iron). I apologized to those GEMS counselors, but explained that she comes by this lack of ability quite honestly.

Well. Then….

After she re-ironed her fabric and sat down to sew again – wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles - the child can sew! I was informed that she did beautifully and must have inherited some sewing genes from her father’s mother!

And I am very glad to hear that. Maybe now she’ll do all the ironing and sewing around the house…

Great work, Sarah & Counselors!

_MG_3116

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Julie, I am right there with you. Only for me, my MOM was a seamstress... for pay... a long, long time ago in Chicago. (think holes in hockey uniforms repaired, among other things!) but i, like you, cannot sew a straight line. one year, sometime in the last decade, i attempted to make myself a dress. my roommate can sew (the basics) and i wanted to try it. i took the dress home on vacation for her to help me.... and not ONE SINGLE STITCH remained when the dress was completed. NOT. ONE. that said, i DO like to (very, very rarely) pull out my sewing machine and use it on my scrapbook pages!

Tamara said...

DOH! in the midst of all of my stories, i forgot to say: "WAY TO GO SARAH!" and "WAY TO GO LEAH!"

Ed / Julie said...

Yes, way to go Lea AND Amy!! :)

Mike and Amy said...

Love the pillow case she made! :)

Mother Superior said...

Julie, you do have a very nice sewing machine - I'd steal it from you but then I'd have nothing to sew on when I come to Washington. Holly told me about her pillowcase and said she is now a seamstress.

The Mom said...

I love 'pillow case night' at GEMS and seeing all those awesome girls get so excited about sewing! Sarah is welcome to sew with me anytime. :)
-Lea