Thursday, March 17, 2011

Muffin Top Pan Review

I have an opinion. The tops of the muffins are the best. This is not so much opinion as it is fact, in my opinion. The tops of the muffins have a completely different texture than the bottoms. It has something to do with the heat of the baking and the butter. Or something. I don’t claim to be a chemist.

Anyway, ever since I heard of muffin top pans, I have wanted one, but they’re rather expensive. A while back I found one at the thrift store for $1.49! I was so excited!

For breakfast on Sunday morning a couple weeks ago I decided it was time to give the pan a try.

_MG_3730

_MG_3744

_MG_3747

The muffin tops turned out pretty well. However, a couple things I learned:

1. Don’t use a boxed bread mix to make muffins, especially when there are not muffin directions on said box. It’s just gonna taste like bread.

2. Through research on the world wide web, I learned that you must fill the muffin top cavities to the brim. This gives you more muffin top and less muffin bottom.

3. My friend Amy said something about butter. I don’t remember. Hopefully she’ll comment on here and remind me. More butter? Less butter? I’m thinking more.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to try again for my Accountability Group (aka: scrapbooking friends). This time I’m going to use an actual muffin recipe, Snickerdoodle Muffins, from Pioneer Woman’s Tasty Kitchen Blog. I figure if I use something as sweet and delicious as a muffin compared to a cookie, it’ll turn out.

After I bake and eat my Snickerdoodle Muffins, hopefully I will have a better review on the Muffin Top Pan. In the meantime, I would {{heart}} to hear tips from my friends who are incredibly talented in the kitchen on using said pan. (Hint, hint, Jessica!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just be careful because if your metabolism is anything like mine if you eat too many of those muffin tops you will have a muffin top next time you put on your favorite jeans...I hate getting old!!!

Ed / Julie said...

Yeah, my metabolism is definitely slowing down. Ugh. That's why we bought a used treadmill. It's so windy and cold here that it's hard for me to get my walks in, and now I NEED my walks. :P

Tamara said...

i should NOT have read this... now i KNOW what i'll be missing tomorrow! (the twins have temps of 100.4 and 102.2 right now). you don't do deliveries, do you?! :)

Ed / Julie said...

I'm sorry. I will make them again for you if they turn out. :) I'm so sorry you are still battling those illnesses! Yuck!

Jessica said...

Ok I get the hint. I got my pans at second chance as well and have finally perfected their use. It will be my kitchen must haves this week. Thanks for the inspiration...and the compliment, assuming its this Jessica you meant?

Ed / Julie said...

Yes, it's YOU, and I can't wait for the Kitchen Must Have on the Muffin Top Pans! My Snickerdoodle Muffins are in the oven as I type and I am quite certain they are not going to live up my expectations. :( Hurry and come to my aid! ;)