Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Break 2011, Day One

Well, technically this was the third day of spring break week, but it was the first day of my time in Michigan with Sarah.

Our travel day, Tuesday, went pretty well, despite a delay out of Seattle. Sarah learned how to navigate around an airport and we were happy to see my brother when he picked us up late at night at the Grand Rapids airport.

On Wednesday morning we slept in a bit and ventured out to see my nephew Elias. He made my day at breakfast when he said, “I’m so happy today!" I asked him, “Why are you happy, Elias?” He said, “I’m happy that cousin Sarah is here. And Aunt Julie.”

Awwwwwww. I {heart} that kid!

Sarah and I just had to make a stop at the GEMS Service Center in Grand Rapids, which I got to see last year for the first time. I wanted to show Sarah this tiny little office that reaches girls literally around the world for Jesus. God uses that small little building to send out materials and people and love and build His Kingdom. It is so amazing to me and I wanted to share that with Sarah.

The staff was all there, buzzing around, packing up for our upcoming training weekend, but they were kind and gracious and showed Sarah all around and answered all her questions. It was a precious experience. PLUS, I got to pick up the badge order for our club, which is something I never get to do! I saved $11 in shipping and was just giddy about it.

I know. I’m a little gaga about GEMS. You’ll just have to get over it.

Anyway, then Sarah & I took off for Calvin after lunch. She was just a tad embarrassed by her mother (you’ll see why in the pictures in the web album), and nervous about what the college students would think about her being there. I assured her that the college students are way too into their own lives to even notice or care that she was there. I don’t think she believed me. She was much happier when we were joined by an actual student that we know from our home church so that she had a “reason” to be on campus.

We enjoyed visiting with our friend Nicole, hearing about her classes and her spring break service project, and having her show us the dorms. After we left her so she could have her dinner with her college friends (I remember how important that is!) we headed to my brother’s office.

He took us over to the new fieldhouse to show it off to Sarah and so she could go rock climbing – definitely one of the highlights of the trip for her! She got to climb 3 different walls and did awesome. It was so fun to see her ROCK those rock walls!

You can watch a YouTube video of her climbing here and you can view a web album of the first day of our trip here.

No comments: