Monday, April 25, 2011

TULIPS!!!

The tulips that star in the Tulip Festival about an hour south of us were finally coaxed into bloom by their Creator, despite their resistance of the cooler-than-average-April-temperatures. This past Saturday brought us an amazingly warm and sunny afternoon and despite repeated warnings of “DO NOT GO TO THE TULIPS TODAY BECAUSE EVERYONE IN THE WORLD IS THERE!” we decided to go. We went later in the afternoon, and while it certainly wasn’t empty, we did not have any traffic issues whatsoever. We were so glad that we finished our errands early enough to head down there, since the cool, wet weather has now returned to us.

Almost all these photos are SOOC.

_MG_5144

_MG_5160

I didn’t get super cooperation in the picture department because the sun was so bright. Apparently we really are acclimated to gray skies around here.

_MG_5175

_MG_5177

_MG_5184

_MG_5193

“One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong.” Do you see the odd tulip?_MG_5195

IMG_5213

_MG_5230

_MG_5248

I love this shot. It was only sort-of posed. She was smelling the tulips and I saw her, and asked her to do exactly the same thing again so I could take the picture. Precious.

_MG_5254

I finally found that sweet spot for capturing pictures of the girls so they wouldn’t have to squint…too much, anyway.

_MG_5258

_MG_5273

_MG_5290

IMG_5310

Of the tulips we saw, these are Ed’s favorite. My very favorite tulips, “Angelique”, were not on display in these fields, unfortunately. They are pink and lacey – almost like a peony, (in fact, they’re often called Peony Tulips) which is my favorite flower.

Image of Double Peony Tulip Angelique

I do, however, love almost all tulips and I’ve decided I need to plant more bulbs here this fall for next spring!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't believe the tulip festival is already here again...time flies. I LOVE those peony tulips...peonies are also one of my favorites! I wonder where you can buy them...have you seen them anywhere? Great pictures of the flowers and your family!

Ed / Julie said...

Melissa - you might have to buy those bulbs online. I bought them as cut flowers every year when we lived in Mount Vernon and would go to Tulip Town on locals night and then I would always get a bunch of those. You could probably buy the bulbs down there also, but otherwise online.

DeJongs said...

Miss those beautiful girls! What a beautiful sight.