Sunday, May 15, 2011

My sweet girls

My GEMS girls, that is:

_MG_5465

May 1 was GEMS Sunday! I hear they did great! I, the Club Coordinator, decided to skip church.

Whaaaaaat?

No, not really.

I woke up that Sunday morning with a crick in my neck. I know, it sounds lame, but I was in excruciating pain. And I am not a wimp about pain. I have given birth without drugs. Twice. And the only way to describe the pain in my neck is to say that it was like giving birth in my neck.

Sorry. That’s not a good image. But that was the degree of the pain.

If I tried to take a bite of cereal, I screamed in pain. If I went from standing to sitting, or vice versa, I screamed in pain. It was awful.

So, I missed GEMS Sunday. Our amazing counselors stepped up and made it all happen and the girls did marvelously. How do I know this, if I wasn’t there, you ask?

Because my cool husband texted, emailed pictures, and sent me video during the service! I sat in pain on my couch, with a heating pad on my neck, crying, and watching those girls sing their theme song. I was wishing we had live streaming on the web of our church services, but what I had was almost as good.

It took about a week before I could move normally, though I had stopped screaming by Sunday afternoon. I still have some pain if I move too far in one direction, but it’s improving and I’m so grateful to not be living in constant pain anymore.

GEMS is over for the year now, except for our final counselor party Monday night. I’ve still got to track down at least 2, possibly 3 more counselors for next year, so we’re praying about that. I am glad to have a bit of a break from GEMS, but I’ll be so excited to see those sweet girls again in September!!

1 comment:

Mother Superior said...

I LOVE, LOVE your blog and really miss it when you're a bit "slow" in blogging. I especially love it when you have pictures of any of my 3 favorite Washington kids.
You are such an awesome GEMS coordinator - wish we lived close by - I might even be convinced to volunteer with you.
Have a wonderful week!!!