Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23

June 23 is forever embedded in my brain as Mom Freeman’s birthday. Birthdays don’t matter to her anymore in heaven, but it’s a good time for us to remember her.

IMG_2447

I remember she taught me how to chop onions in just the right way for her chicken enchilada recipe. I think she would have loved the Vidalia Onion Chopper I have now, though! I remember she taught me how to crochet in the backseat of a rental car on the way from Washington to Montana for a wedding. I remember being terrified of playing the wrong card if she was my partner in a card game! Thankfully, she never held it against me and she often praised “how far I’d come” in card-playing. LOL! I remember that until she got sick she came for almost every one of the girls’ birthdays and always had a special gift of some sort – something she had made generally. We treasure those. She was always up for any adventure and she loved her family. She loved her Jesus even more and was never afraid to express that faith is the most important thing. Her deepest desire was for every one of her family members to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior, so that we can all live together forever with Him. And now that I’m a mom of growing-up daughters, and an aunt to growing-up nieces & nephews, I understand that desire even more fully and my prayer is the same as hers.

It goes without saying that we miss her. I think I’ll go see if I have an onion…I feel like making some chicken enchiladas for dinner.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing Julie!

Ed / Julie said...

You're welcome, Kim. I realized I didn't really explain that this is Ed's mom. That might have been confusing that she had a different last name, if you didn't already know. And we ARE having chicken enchiladas for dinner. :)

Kim said...

hahaha...no I knew it was Ed's mom. I remember when she died. Even though she is now gone, you can always be thankful for the good memories and the remembrance that you shared a special relationship. That is something to be cherished, and something that many other wish for.