Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What a day!

Yesterday was quite a day…it was the last full day of Ed & Sarah & Bethany being gone. They arrive late tonight into Seattle! Hooray! The day started out pretty well – Becca slept until 8:20 (& therefore so did I!) and Elise slept until 9:15! I cannot remember the last time that happened. Of course, they were so exhausted when they went to bed Sunday night (because I wore them out that day and because Becca had a giant sliver that took much coaxing, icing, screaming, and crying to remove right before bed), so I wasn’t surprised they slept in…just surprised that they slept that late. Also, Elise woke up during the night with growing pains and so I gave her ibuprofen, which probably helped her sleep so long. At any rate, we were off to a pretty good start.

They watched a movie, I got stuff organized and did dishes and laundry and I even got to talk to both my brothers and wish my nephew a happy birthday over Skype! And then I started cutting fabric and the downward spiral began.

I had bought 8 yards of fuzzy fabric for the GEMS Camp craft on Friday when I was in Seattle. I have never bought fuzzy fabric before, so I was not aware that when one cuts fuzzy fabric, fuzzies go everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I was covered in fuzzies, as was my countertop and my floor. Ugh.

Fuzzy fabric is also very slippery. Because of that, I now have a broken toe. I know, it makes no sense…but truly, that’s what happened. I was trying to adjust the fabric and the large plastic cutting ruler I borrowed slipped and went zooming off the counter and landed on edge on my big toe. I went down like lightning, in intense pain, screaming, and rolling around in the fuzzies. My poor children. They should never have had to see something like that.

Becca brought me ice in a baggie. I continued to cry in agony. She, being the “oldest offspring” for the weekend, gallantly got out the vacuum and vacuumed up all the little fuzzies and then proceeded to make lunch for her & Elise. By the time they finished with lunch, I had regained composure. I ate some lunch (figured nourishment would aid in healing my toe) and then proceeded to move my fabric-cutting-mess to the floor. I figured I probably couldn’t do anymore damage on the floor.

By the time I had cut 8 yards of fabric into 120 square foot sections, there was fabric dust and fuzzies everywhere. In my nose, in my eyes, I was covered from head to toe. Piles of fuzzies lay at the base of the cutting mat and I noticed that they had blown all about my house.

You know how the cottonwood puffs are blowing around outside right now? That’s what it looked like inside my house.

I got out the vacuum and thankfully the big pieces vacuumed up really well…except that now my vacuum canister looks as though I vacuumed an entire cottonwood tree with it. I used a lint roller (several sheets worth) on my clothes, the couch, the chair cushions, etc. to get the lint-y pieces up. Oh my lands. If I had known this about this fabric, I would have found another craft for GEMS camp. But the $80 is spent and we will do the craft. 110 little girls will cut two flip flop shapes out of their square of fabric. And then my camp leadership team & I will vacuum the entire chapel. Twice.

The plan had originally been to also do some shopping yesterday. By the time I was done with the fabric and vacuuming, I still could not bend my toe, nor could I walk on it. It throbbed. I sat with more ice, took ibuprofen, and put my foot up for a while.

Finally I called the girls in for dinner and drove them to Applebee’s, where I ate half of a tasteless burger, about 4 cold and not-crispy fries (because that’s all they gave me) and drowned my sorrows in an iced tea. We ran a few errands, but as a public service announcement to my blog readers I will tell you this: shopping with a broken toe really …um…well, it’s not fun. I did, however, find the turquoise paint I have been searching for, which I think was probably the highlight of the day.

And no, there are no pictures to share. Because I did not take pictures. If I had, there would be fuzzy pieces of lint inside my camera and then I would really not be happy. Perhaps as my toe begins to turn even more shades of purple, blue, and black I will take a picture of that.

One good thing: Today Ed & the big girls come home! I am so excited. I don’t know what my problem is, but whenever my family is not “complete”, I have a hard time accomplishing things that need to be done and I eat A LOT of junk food. I hope I can change those habits before Sarah goes off to college in four short years, because if I don’t…well, it's not going to be pretty.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

what a day, indeed! i'm very, VERY sorry about your toe. when i was in 9th grade, all we did, all year for gym class was play soccer against the 10th graders. it was almost always girls playing with girls and boys playing with boys. sometimes we played together. woo! but i digress. mary macdougall was a year ahead of me. and she was a solid, sturdy, big girl, if you know what i mean. she probably weighed twice what i weighed. and we both hit the soccer ball at the same time. only she hit it with the SIDE of her foot. i kicked at it with my toes. for YEARS i had problems with my big toe. it never turned black and blue so the teacher (and my mom) never believed i damaged it. but it was bad. it was, quite literally, over a year before i could bend it more than a smudge. and it was a few years before i could bend it all the way. so i understand your pain. i can feel it with you. and i'm very, very sorry it happened to you. maybe next time you shouldn't borrow the plastic ruler thingy and just get someone else to cut the fabric! :)

Mike and Amy said...

oh my dear friend!!! You now know, whether you wanted to or not...
a. why I always wear shoes, esp. while handling ruler and rotary cutter
b. why i refuse to buy any more fleece!

SO SO sorry you hurt your toe!! :(