Tuesday, July 10, 2012

dahlias

The last couple of years I have been growing dahlias in the back of the house. Nothing much grows very well back there, historically, other than weeds and volunteer lettuce, but I am now having success with dahlias! I absolutely love these flowers – they rank right up there with hydrangeas and peonies for me. Big, nostalgic blooms. My great-grandma used to have dahlias in her garden at her little house, if I am remembering correctly, and even though her little garden was right in the middle of town on a tiny little plot, it seemed magical to me when I walked through the arbor and saw the tall dahlias in bloom.

_MG_7271

these orange dahlias have become part of my summer mantel…every time they start to wilt, I just go cut some fresh ones…I love having fresh cut flowers in the house, especially when they’re from my own yard.

 

_MG_7304

and I love these red ones in the thrift store vase I recently painted turquoise…makes me smile

2 comments:

Mother Superior said...

Beautiful flowers!! Next time I come,could we do coffee?

Ed / Julie said...

Thank you! And of course - that'd be awesome. Maybe I'd actually get to see your daughter if I did that. Is she still sick?