Thursday, July 12, 2012

a fun color

About 14 years ago, I inherited several pieces of furniture from Ed’s mom & step-dad because they were “down-sizing” and becoming “gypsies.” In other words, they were selling their house and getting rid of possessions in order to live in their RV full-time and travel the country working at different job sites. One of the things I inherited, and use every single day, is her roll-top desk. After I had the desk for a while, I decided I needed a special chair for it and I bought a ladderback chair at a garage sale for $10. It is not an antique, but it is cool. I used it for 14 years and lately it just seemed…dull. It had some nicks. It had some scratches. Regular old polishing just wasn’t cutting it anymore. So I decided to paint it.

A fun color.

 

_MG_7307

It’s called “exotic sea.”

_MG_7314

It’s actually more turquoise than it looks in these pictures, for some reason having to do with how one’s eye works with one’s brain and how a camera doesn’t actually capture what one’s eye sees because the camera isn’t connected to a brain. That’s my version of what Ed said.

_MG_7321

Have I mentioned that spray paint is my new best friend?

Anyway, the chair cushion is yet a work in progress…I had some fun fabrics (already on-hand, which makes them very desirable to use and FREE!) and when I laid them out over the chair seat, it appeared as though it would fit. HOWEVER, I failed to take into account the fact that I was adding some two-inch foam to the seat. Therefore, one piece of fabric did not cover the seat. I had to use two pieces, which is actually a little strange-looking and so…eventually when I find some cute fabric on-sale, I will purchase enough to cover the entire thing and will do it properly.

I don’t know if this chair will stay turquoise forever…it’ll probably end up black or white at some point, but that’s the beauty of spray paint!

2 comments:

Tamara said...

i LOVE the color and think the chair should stay this way (well, with new fabric) for a long, long time!

dee said...

I love your "new" chair!! Can I just have a teeny tiny bit of your motivation? I seem to be seriously lacking in it this summer.