Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Michigan 2013, Day One

This year when I went to my GEMS ACTS training in Michigan, Bethany got to come along. Two years ago, Sarah came and so this time was Bethany’s turn. We flew out on a Wednesday and while we encountered cancelled flights and changing gates and airlines, we ended up arriving in Grand Rapids only an hour later than originally scheduled. Considering the midwest storms that day, we felt very blessed!

We spent Thursday together with my brother and his family…started out the morning with coffee and treats at Schuler’s Books – a favorite place for my nephew and my grandma, who joined us for a couple hours.

01-IMG_2839

Getting to know cousin C again

02-IMG_2841

Nephew E loved having Bethany around and showing her around at Schuler’s

03-IMG_2853

Would you just look at those adorable little chubby toddler fingers?

04-IMG_2854

And those stunning blue eyes?

05-IMG_2858

My grandma with 3 of her 9 ‘greats’

On Thursday afternoon, Bethany & I went to Calvin and walked around a bit. We shopped in the bookstore and I showed her some places as we walked across campus. Then we visited my brother to see his “environment”.

06-IMG_2859

My brother’s office

07-IMG_2860

The new interdisciplinary lab…chemistry, biology, and a couple other departments built this with grant money. State of the art and a fabulous draw for students in these areas of study.

08-IMG_2874

Then Bethany got to go rock climbing in the rec center. She did awesome – conquering 3 different climbs and attempting a 4th, very difficult, climb.

09-IMG_2881

I have video of her climbing that I’m hoping to figure out how to post tonight. Stay tuned!

10-IMG_2889

Bethany on Calvin’s indoor 200m track

11-IMG_2902

Anyone who knows nephew E knows he is such a busy kid that it’s very difficult to get a picture with both his eyes and a smile. When we got his school pictures we were surprised to see such a great smile with him looking at the camera. His dad asked him how that happened and he said the photographer had a frog on his head and he was supposed to watch for it to fall off. Genius. I was taking pictures of these two and eventually I put something on my head and asked him to watch for it to fall. And looky here! Eyes and a smile! What a great idea and a couple of great kids!

Day Two coming soon!

No comments: