Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Ragnar in July

The Ragnar. It's epic. My sister-in-law got us hooked last year when she put together a team of assorted runners she knew from all over WA and CA. This year, Sarah put together a team of LCXC alumni, runners, coaches, and parents. The Ragnar is a 200ish mile relay race run by a team of 12 people (there are usually about 500 teams) over a 24ish hour period. "This is my Happy Pace" was our team name and we took FOURTH PLACE overall! I say we...but I don't run. I only drive around sweaty runners in a 15 passenger van for over 24 hours with almost no sleep. But my name got on the team t-shirt this year, so I think even though I don't run, I get to say "we". 


Van 2 arriving at the first major exchange. On our way to the safety video!


Getting our Ragnar on! 


Van decorating


Van 2's first runner handing off to the 2nd runner. We tried not to look at him in those tiger short shorts. 


More hand offs!




My parents and the girls are hooked on Ragnar, too. They drove down to Skagit County to cheer on a few of Van 2's legs!




They were particularly interested in cheering on Sarah. :)


Sarah arriving at the 2nd major exchange and Van 1 takes over!


First legs for Van 2 are done!!


During our first long break, we got some food and the rested in LaConner until we ran our night legs between LaConner and Oak Harbor. I drove over Deception Pass Bridge in the middle of the night. And we got across. And I didn't die. Or kill anyone else. That may not seem like a big deal, because really no one has ever *accidentally* driven off Deception Pass bridge...but trust me when I say that I am so glad that is over.




Sarah had a 9 mile leg at 3:00 in the morning and she absolutely killed it!


Plus she thought it was FUN!!!

When we finished in Oak Harbor we drove to the next major exchange in Coupeville and got showers and some sleep. 


Van 1 is done! See you at the finish!!!










Woo-hoo! Great racing!!!



1 - 2 - 3 - Jump! Or...not...







24 hours in a van with this girl doing what she loves. That's why I Ragnar.




No comments: