Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bethany rocked the house

Yesterday morning Bethany sang a solo in the “Sharing your Gifts” chapel at her school. It was her song from her musical theater class that she will be singing at the recital in just 11 more days. She sang “Puff, The Magic Dragon.” I wish I had it on video because that child. rocked. the. house.

And I’m not just saying that because I’m the mom. Really.

She looked like her normal terrified self as she walked up and while she waited for her music to begin. That’s when I took this picture:

IMG_3404

As soon as she opened her mouth and started to sing and began her “performance”, she was perfect. She smiled. She looked happy. She sang bea-u-ti-fly! I was so proud and so impressed and so…just…full…just like a Mom. I didn’t even take another picture. I was just soaking it in. How far she has come. What a gift she’s been given. How blessed I am to be her mom.

She said that when she went back to class after chapel and walked into her classroom, her whole class applauded for her! You wouldn’t believe the absolute glee and thrill on her face when she told me that. It just proves once again that encouragement and positive reinforcement (even –or especially- from peers) can leave a huge impact on a child’s heart. Thanks to KD for helping Bethany discover how to use her gift to God’s glory and for encouraging her every step of the way. Thanks to CB for teaching encouragement to your students and allowing Bethany to feel that coming from her fellow classmates.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Too bad you don't have a video. I'd love to hear her sing. Maybe you could have her sing it at home so you could post a video :) What an amazing gift God has given her. I'm sure you were so proud to be her mom.

Ed / Julie said...

I am sure I will get it on video when she has her performance on May 16. I still have a video of her singing at Grandparents' Day in April to figure out how to post. Our camera videos don't post easily, so I usually have to get Ed to help me.